You’ve gone for stroll, taken in the Cotswolds view and decided to have a little snooze in a comfy barn, but when you wake up the door is jammed. Eek what to do….?
Answer our nosey questions of course:
1. So Rob…Founder of wine company When in Rome….who would be the first person you’d want to ring once you’d realised the barn door is jammed?
Certainly not my wife, who refuses to carry a mobile phone. I’d be undiscovered for weeks. Probably my best mate Matt, who’d think of a way to get me out using nothing but straw.
2. You’re thinking about your business – tell us how it started and your long term plans.
When in Rome was born from a love of Italy, and wanting people in the UK to enjoy Italian wine the way I did when I lived there. Long term we want to help kick start a box wine revolution, and stay at the forefront of it.
3. What songs are you singing to while away the time?
Probably Paolo Conte. Born in Asti right in the heart of Piedmontese wine country, and his songs are often long and always soothing. He’d calm me down.
4. What makes you laugh?
Italians are so proud of their culinary traditions, and never boast about their humour. In the UK, it’s the other way round. Just about any BBC TV comedy makes me chuckle . Or if I couldn’t stream that to my phone, I’d read puns.
5. What wine are you planning on drinking as soon as you’re out?
Rosato ( from WiR of course), from a box straight out of the fridge.
Rob (right) with business partner Andrea.
6. What’s your first delicious item of food going to be when you’re free? Where will you get it from?
Pasta with Pesto. Has to be my wife’s home made Pesto, eaten at the Kitchen table. Often with some stinging nettles thrown in with the basil to give it a kick. Yes really.
7. Where would be your favourite place to stay in the Cotswolds if you weren’t sleeping on a bale of hay?
Thistledown Farm, a campsite straight from heaven with a fabulous Pizzeria to boot.
8. What are your immediate plans as soon as the barn door is open? Any hobbies you’re going to take up?
Probably weight lifting, so I can unjam the door next time myself.
9. Where can we buy When in Rome wine?
We sell all of our wines on line at wheninromewine.com , and also through the Stroud Wine Company, Vinotopia in Tetbury and the Fillet & Bone in Chipping Camden.
10. What are your plans this Summer? If you get out of that barn of course….
Off to Italy, where they really know how to do summer. A chance to spend some time with my family and hang out with my business partners to put together our Christmas plan for When in Rome.